Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC)
In December 2005 the SFI Standard was endorsed by the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC), an international forest certification recognition organization. Currently, the program encompasses over 500 million acres worldwide.
With the endorsement by PEFC of the SFI Standard, SFI, Inc. became the PEFC US National Governing Body.
This distinction brings many opportunities for the SFI, Inc. and the SFI Program, including:
- Participation in the PEFC General Assembly, one of the most important leadership bodies of the PEFC Council. Representing over 25 other countries, this body has a significant impact on forestry throughout the world
- Direct influence into the PEFC mutual recognition and standard setting processes and technical documents, which affects forest certification systems globally
- Representation of all US endorsed systems within the PEFC governing structure
- Use and control of the PEFC Label and Chain of Custody certification for SFI Program Participants
- Global market acceptance of SFI certified products
PEFC is a global organization that endorses national forest certification systems that meet their minimum requirements for sustainable forestry, with the goal of promoting sustainable forest management worldwide.
The SFI, American Tree Farm System (ATFS) and Canadian standards Association (CSA) Standards have been endorsed as functionally equivalent by the PEFC and wood material certified to the three standards can be counted as SFI and PEFC certified wood
The Pan-Canadian Woodlot Certification Program is currently being assessed by PEFC and may become mutually recognized in the near future. Once mutually recognized, wood material that is certified to this standard could be counted as SFI and/or PEFC certified content.
For more information on PEFC visit WWW.PEFC.ORG.